Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day...our way {Toddler art}

For some reason, I never associated Valentine's Day with traditions, until recently.  Other bloggers were asking their readers to share one of their Valentine's day traditions and it took me a minute to think about ours.

As a kid, I don't remember our classroom Valentine's Day parties, filling out all the cards to my friends, or even all the chocolate.  I remember going shopping on Valentine's Day with my mom and sisters.  Now, my memory tells me this was a tradition of ours, but I may only remember the years that we actually did this (at least one year, I'm sure!)  

As a wife, I have yet to establish any traditions for Valentine's Day in this house and I am not sure that we ever will.  Not because I don't like traditions, but because Valentine's Day has never been a big deal to me or Jeff. Tonight I plan to make a "nothing-fancy" dinner.  We won't share a bottle of nice wine (although I would like to do that!).  We probably won't even exchange cards.  Valentine's Day around here is just another day.  Hallmark doesn't tell me what to do.  

But as a mom to a toddler, I will take every opportunity to make our days special, as I know she will grow up too fast.  

I just love this sun catcher Leila made!  It's perfect for this San Diego sunshine. 

We spent yesterday morning with friends making Valentine's Day crafts.  Kari, from Mommy to Elodie, is the BEST when it comes to planning toddler art activities.
Isn't this "I love you" card adorable?!

Leila doesn't know Valentine's Day from Saturday, but that didn't stop her from enjoying herself!  She won't really understand why she's giving Daddy that card, and she'll probably assume it's his birthday.  But like I said, anything to make our days together a little more special...even if it is just a Hallmark holiday.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  Are you celebrating?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...