Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The numbers are in! {Carson's weight update}

All of my hard work has paid off. Carson gained a pound in the past nine days!

Gained like a champ this week! 
After discovering Carson had close to seven weeks with very little weight gain, we started offering him a bottle after each nursing session. On average he has been drinking an additional 15 ounces in addition to nursing 5-6 times in a 24 hour period. That's a lot! It sure made me wonder how much he is getting when he nurses.

Today I took him to a breastfeeding support group for his weigh in. At these meetings you weigh your baby naked, then with clothes and a diaper. After nursing you weigh in again to see about how many ounces your baby drank. Today, after relentlessly boosting my supply, Carson drank 4.2 ounces. Certainly not enough for this growing boy!

So what does that mean? Today's weigh in proved he CAN gain weight (and quickly!). It also means he still needs to be offered a bottle after nursing. More personally, it means I have to decide if I am going to continue pumping 4 times a day. Oh wait...I already decided I'm not.

I will continue to pump on a schedule (in the morning and before I go to bed) to get as much milk as I can. I cannot be hooked to a pump any more than that. Besides the fact that it is just about the worst thing ever, I am pumping out milk that Carson could be drinking from the source a couple hours later.

Want to know the BEST THING EVER?! I am leaving tomorrow for a weekend away with some girlfriends. Couldn't have come at a better time. Good-bye stress, hello champagne! Feels good already.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...