Friday, February 3, 2012

Toddler activites {Microwave Playdough}

After reading about brave Mommas painting with their toddlers, I convinced myself play-dough was like painting for the Type A parent. She could get her hands in it, and if she threw it across the room I wouldn't be cleaning it up for days weeks.

I was also skeptical about making play-dough with Leila because I was worried, of course, that she would try to eat it. I mean, what child can resist the taste of play-dough on their lips?

When I saw the ingredients in this recipe posted by Annie at It's Just my Life... I figured if Leila tasted a little bit it wouldn't kill her. (It's pretty similar to my stove top recipe but without the chance of ruining my pots and pans.)

Here's what you need:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
food coloring

Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium sized microwave safe bowl.

Add water, oil, and food coloring to the dry ingredients.

Microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir every 30 seconds.

Let it cool enough so you are able to knead the play-dough. Store in an airtight container after it is completely cooled.


Leila has been really into her toddler-sized kitchen utensils these days, so I knew she would love helping me mix up all the dry ingredients.

I should have known she would try to feed it to herself...

Photobucket

...and then get really mad when I wouldn't let her.

Photobucket
Live and learn!

The secret to making this microwave play-dough is to stop and stir it every 30 seconds! I found other microwave play-dough recipes online that did not instruct me to stir that often. Theirs turned out lumpy and gooey. Not mine! I stirred every 30 seconds while it cooked for three minutes.

See...not lumpy at all.


Photobucket


Leila, Jeff and I had a blast playing with the play-dough. I threw some wooden craft sticks and pipe cleaners on the table to play with since all of my play-dough tools are packed away in my former classroom. She mimicked what we did, ripped it apart, smashed it back together, and of course enjoyed the salty taste on her lips.

For teacher appreciation week this year, I made a triple batch and gave it to Teacher Lee! The kids love how easy it is to manipulate. I even got a little on my pants today and it came right out with just a little water. Hooray!

Like this recipe?  Share it!

Photobucket

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...