Monday, August 20, 2012

Easy Green Smoothie Recipe {Toddler approved!}

Convincing Leila to eat a vegetable is a daunting task.

Typically she will try the vegetables (bonus!) just to spit it out after it's been chewed a few times.  The other night Jeff felt so proud that he actually got her to lick a piece of broccoli.  We'll take what we can get folks!

I know there are tons of ways to hide vegetables in your child's food.  I found one recipe that I was going to try from Pinterest, but recently it's been too hot to turn on the oven. I know there are dozens more I haven't even discovered yet!

The thing is, I make ONE dinner for the entire family to enjoy (or not).  I do not want to start making Leila her own meal, secretly filled with vegetables, while Jeff and I openly enjoy our vegetables.  Ideally, she will learn to appreciate tolerate vegetables with few modifications. (Cheese smothered broccoli is acceptable.)  I realize I may be asking for too much, so in the meantime I have a solution:  a daily dose of greens in her morning smoothie. 

You may be thinking...Wait?  Isn't this an example of hiding vegetables, just like you said you didn't want to do?

Not really.  Here's why:  Leila helps me make the smoothie each morning.  She rips the kale from the stem and then takes handfuls of spinach and dumps them in the blender.  It's not a secret if she knows, right?!



Easy Green Smoothie Recipe
Recipe from Lauren Boston 

(PER PERSON*)
1 large leaf Kale 
1 cup spinach 
1/2 cup frozen blueberries 
1/2 frozen banana
1 scoop organic wheat grass powder 
Water to desired consistency (about 1 cup)

Variations:
Add 1 scoop Trader Joe's Very Green Berry Flavored Powder 
Add additional 1/2 cup of frozen fruit (I used raspberries above) 
Add ground flax seeds
Replace 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 cup of orange juice (pictured above)
Add plain Greek yogurt for protein and a thicker smoothie


*This recipe makes enough for Leila and I to share.  We each get a cup (pictured above) full of green smoothie first thing in the morning.  I'm still experimenting with how much we need/want.  Sometimes I add an additional leaf of kale and it doesn't change the taste at all.  This smoothie doesn't replace our breakfast.

Please let me know if you try this recipe.  I'd love you to share your green smoothie recipe too! 



Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...