Thursday, April 11, 2013

D.I.Y. Custom Name Art

I first saw this custom name art on Etsy when I was pregnant with Leila.  I wanted to purchase the decorated letters to hang on the wall above the changing table, but just couldn't justify paying someone to do something so simple.
Deciding to do it myself turned out to be easier than I expected!  My sister and I finished these letters for Leila just four days before my due date
With Carson's arrival, I figured I should make his name art a priority on my to-do list.  With the help of my mom and Aunt Carrie we finished the letters in just two days.

Custom name art {for your baby's nursery}

What you'll need:

  • Wooden letters to spell your child's name (I picked these up from Michael's.  They had a few sizes and colors to choose from.)
  • Acrylic paint for the sides (gray for Carson, brown for Leila)
  • Mod Podge (I liked the matte finish)
  • Paint brush
  • Sponge brush
  • Coordinating scrapbook paper- one for each letter
  • Cardboard or newspaper if you are messy like me
  • Scissors
  • Pencil

Do-it-yourself directions:


1. Paint all edges of the letters with your acrylic paint. Make sure you do a sloppy job so that a little bit of the front of the letters get some paint too. (Just in case you cut the paper too small or misplace it on the letter slightly.)

2. Trace the letter on the back (or front) of the scrapbook paper and cut it out with scissors. With some of the prints I chose it was easier to line up the pattern by tracing the letter onto the pattern itself instead of the back. This ensures it will be straight if it needs to be.


3.  Paint the Mod Podge on the front of the wooden letter. Be sure to get all the way to the edge. Adhere the paper letter to the wooden letter and smooth out the wrinkles with a clean cloth. (pictured above)

4. Leave the letters out to dry overnight. 

Ta da! It's easy and perfect for your child's bedroom.


Linking up this week with Mama Dish for their{Moonlight & Mason Jars} Monday Night Link Up Party. Go check it out!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...