Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mommy-friends {Be yourself}

I am sure it is no surprise that this third Mommy-dating rule has me questioning everything.

Mommy-dating Rule #1: Put yourself out there

Mommy-dating Rule #2: Don't give up

Mommy-dating Rule #3: Be yourself

Be myself?!? See, this is where I start questioning things.

Who am I?

I am still figuring that out. I thought I knew who I was, kind of, then I had Leila. (I told you motherhood changes everything).

I never thought about if I was "being myself" or not before Leila. I knew I was myself. I always seemed to have an opinion, loved a good party, and worked a lot. I don't remember worrying about being judged for anything other than wearing flip-flops with everything.

Now as a mother, those traits aren't always popular.

I don't want to be the one preaching about how important it is to have a consistent nap time while we push our kids on the swing. No one wants to hear about the wine bottle party I had by myself last night. And well, I'm sure you all heard, I don't have a job other than cleaning yogurt off everything within a three foot radius of Leila's highchair.

1f94976f
Instagram!


It is hard to be yourself when who you are is constantly changing, when you doubt yourself, or when you are afraid of being judged.

Judgement. Yep, that's what I am scared of. Wondering what other people think of me is was holding me back.

What happened to that confidence I use to feel?

Motherhood is a club with a lifetime membership. You are a part of it the second you find out you are pregnant.

No club exists without rules. The problem is, I can't seem to figure out who is making the rules!

Oh wait, it's me.

I'm the one who feels like I should have it all together. I'm the one judging me.

Really, all moms are way too busy chasing the kids around, making snacks, and cleaning food off our butts to care what the mom next to us is drinking at night.

So here's to being yourself...It's really all you've got.

I still don't know who I am, but luckily I realized my new mommy-friends don't have the time to notice.

Cheers!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...