Monday, October 8, 2012

My biggest rookie mistake

As I near the half way mark of this pregnancy, I am beginning to reflect on my experiences as a rookie mom.  Honestly, being a mom of two kind of scares the crap out of me.  Reflecting on my newbie years brings me a sense of control and confidence.

Although I know better than to think I am actually the one in control (Proof I'm not a newbie anymore!), there are things I will definitely try do again with baby number 2 and things that I plan to do differently the second time around.

With baby #2 I will definitely try to...
  • Breastfeed again, and maybe even longer this time since I won't be going back to work.
  • Sleep train this baby as early as possible.  Me without sleep = crazy person.
  • Wear baby #2 in the Ergo carrier.
  • Take monthly pictures of baby #2 to document all the physical changes in the first year.
  • Limit pacifier use to the crib, stroller, and car seat after the first three months (and then eventually just in the crib).
I have confidence that those things will happen again.  I've done them before.  I have experience making them work.  Doing things differently, well that will be more challenging. 

This time around I plan to...
  • Sleep when the baby sleeps just to prove to myself that I can.
  • Deal with a messy house instead of allowing the mess to consume me.
  • Not be so hard on myself.  I am not perfect and I will not panic when things don't go as planned.
  • Give my husband the freedom to do things his way.
  • Always be late.  I am not even going to stress out over trying to be anywhere on time.  I will be implementing a 30 minute window rule for our arrival.  
  • Pretend I am not being judged.  We all know it happens.  This time around I will be too busy to care.
  • Get in the picture. My biggest rookie mom mistake was not wanting to have my picture taken for months after Leila was born.  I even made my family and friends promise not to take any pictures of me in the hospital.  Pathetic huh?
After reading Allison Tate's blog post on the Huffington Post, I was a teary eyed mess.  I know exactly how she and many other women feel after having a baby...low self-confidence, high expectations, embarrassed to still have "fat pregnancy face", and a body you don't recognize. This time I will be in photos with my new baby, sporting my postpartum weight and all.

I did allow Jeff to snap some pictures at the hospital after I finally took a shower.
I deleted almost all of them.  Huge regret. 
At least I am partly in the picture, right, even if I did crop out my entire body and made sure to hide my face behind Leila.
I find it extremely difficult to venture out of my comfort zone. Changing behaviors is never easy.  But I'm not a rookie anymore. 
  
Time to fess up Mommas.  What will you be doing differently the second (or third) time around?  What was your biggest newbie mom mistake?

  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...